Re: charmrun simulations over macpros

From: pedro.borkowski_at_utoronto.ca
Date: Wed Jun 20 2007 - 20:44:42 CDT

Here are some more details on what i see happening when i run simulations.

Both of the macpros have gigabit ethernet.
Also correction about my previous post there are 2 processors in each
mac pro but there are and two cores per processor.

When i use namd to run simulations on one machine using the code:

./namd2 +p4 asd.conf > data.dat &

i notice that there is only one namd process id using around 360% of
the processors.

when i run namd thorugh charmrun over the two macpros

./charmrun +p8 namd2 asd.conf > data.dat &

i notice that there are 8 namd2 process ids in total each at around 66%.

but the overall performace is much faster on the single processor than
the two macpros together.

I also looked at the transfer rate of the ethernet which is about
35MB/s. So im wondering if it should be much faster to increase the
performance?

I also looked into charm++ but the website doesnot mention any support
for intel macs at the moment, so im wondering if charmrun has not been
optimized for the mac pros yet to fully take advantage of the 8 cores?

please send me your thoughts.

-Pedro