Re: extracting forces from dcd files

From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2007 - 13:44:46 CDT

Hi Todd,
as long as you're just analyzing a normal run, you can use the
namdenergy plugin that is bundled with VMD to do this; you need to
define one group as your atom of interest, and the other as the rest of
the system (this is just a frontend for namd's builtin pair interaction
calculations: http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/2.6/ug/node38.html).
Note that while this is set up as postprocessing, it still does take
significant amounts of time because force evaluations have to be
performed. Also, external forces like tclforces will *not* be included;
this is just the forcefield interactions with other atoms.
Peter