Re: How to "twist" a molecule? (resubmit)

From: Grzegorz Jezierski (jezierski_at_theochem.tu-muenchen.de)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2007 - 04:56:42 CDT

Dear Margaret,
Now I think I understand your problem.
As mentioned on p.71 of NAMD manual, Rotating Constraints are set up the
way ordinary (i.e. positional) restraints are.
In my example, reference positions for Rotating Constraints are
specified in R6G_6CAA.pdb file, and force constants are specified in
fixed.pdb file, in 10th column.
A line in my fixed.pdb file which specifies the force constant for
Rotating Constraints looks like this:
ATOM 46 O1 MOL 2 -0.300 -1.495 2.119 0.00 1.00
If I put e.g. 0.00 instead of 1.00, the Rotating Constraints option for
this atom will be switched off.
Now in order to combine his with harmonic restraints, include your
desired restraint definition in a separate file (pmf.conf in my
example); description on p.82, use 'mcti' keyword. Specify 'freeEnergy
on'. I used this option for constraining a system, not just for free
energy calculations.
Alternatively, you may want to specify 'fixed atoms'. This seems like a
more suitable option for your study. In this case, you should use a
different column (e.g. 'O' i.e. 9th) in the pdb file.
Hope this helps