Re: NPT ensemble with Periodic boundary condition

From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2006 - 17:30:57 CDT

Hi Dhiraj,
you may want to have a look at the NAMD documentation on pressure
controls (http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/2.6/ug/node32.html);
you'll note that to have an NPT simulation periodic boundary conditions
are *required*; otherwise there isn't a defined volume to use for
pressure control. It is possible to use NPT for equilibration and NVE
for production runs, which can avoid having a bad volume in your
constant volume simulation.
Peter