Re: Boiling temperature of water.

From: Boyang Wang (pkuwangboyang_at_yahoo.com.cn)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2006 - 21:38:54 CDT

 Hi Jindal,

 Thanks for the reply. After a long time ~300 ps, I see that the water box becomes several times bigger than at lower temperatures. This means the water seems to be boiling. Maybe it takes a long time for the box to expand into a much larger box, which means boil into vapor, for example, nanoseconds.

 Thanks again for your time.

 Boyang.

Jindal Shah <jindal.shah_at_gmail.com> wrote: Hello Boyang,

This is normal. There are a few reasons why you may not see boiling.

The TIP3 model may have a different boiling point than the experimental value ( i would guess much higher).

If you calculate vapor density of water at 400 K, it is much less than the bulk density and you would require a much larger box!

Jindal

On 6/22/06, Boyang Wang <pkuwangboyang_at_yahoo.com.cn> wrote: Hi all,

 I have a quick question. When I run NPT simulation of liquid water by NAMD, the water box does not boil into gas phase, even at about 400K or higher. Why is it so?

 I am puzzled. Is that due to lack of hydrogen bonding?

 Simulation details:

 A water box is equilibrated for 100ps after minimization. The TIP3 model was used for the water molecules. Langevin Piston method was used, with a pressure 1.0 bar. Langevin dynamics was applied, with damping coefficient 0.01, constant temperature 500K. PME periodic electrostatics was also used.

 Thanks for your time and have a nice summer.

 Boyang.

  Mp3疯狂搜-新歌热歌高速下

抢注雅虎免费邮箱-3.5G容量,20M附件!