Re: question on the charged system

From: Sterling Paramore (paramore_at_hec.utah.edu)
Date: Wed May 17 2006 - 09:02:47 CDT

My 2 cents:

I've never heard of this neutralizing plasma. However, if your system
is charged and the Ewald sum does not converge then you do not have well
defined energy. Without a well defined energy, you cannot have a well
defined thermodynamic state or phase space distribution function. Since
the whole point of molecular dynamics is to sample the distribution
function, even if the dynamics are "right," they are without meaning if
the energy diverges.

-Sterling