RE: pressure calculation in applied field

From: Todd Trimble (TODD.TRIMBLE_at_asu.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2006 - 17:18:24 CST

Hi Brian,

Thanks for responding. I'm running v. 2.5 on a cluster with Xeon
processors running Red Hat Linux.

Originally, I suspected that the PME grid or patch grid were the problem
in my NPT simulations. Using the Langevin piston for pressure control,
the system volume increased approx. linearly until the volume increased
very suddenly and the system exploded with the error "bad global
exclusion count." However, if I ran a shorter simulation and used the
restart files to begin another simulation, although the volume was
initially the same as the final volume of the previous simulation, it
quickly decayed to a value that was close to the initial value of the
previous simulation. Then the volume began to increase again as the run
continued. I thought this behavior might be due to the reinitialization
of the PME grid or patch grid. It's the only thing I can think would
change on restart. However, I never got any messages of "margin
violations". Also, even for fairly short simulations, in which atoms on
the DNA molecule have made only moderate changes in position (and so the
grids should still be OK), I still see this behavior.

This is why I started looking at NVT simulations of the same system.
The pressure just keeps increasing, or jumps back down on restart. I
then fixed the DNA in an NVT run. It looks like the pressure is not
increasing, but I need to run a longer simulation to make sure. I'm not
sure how exactly the pressure is calculated in the presence of the
field. There is some vague remark in the pressure control section of
the manual that the calculation is slightly different.

Anyway, please let me know if you've had similar experiences or any more
insight. Thanks,

Todd