Re: Question about ABF

From: Jerome Henin (jhenin_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2006 - 19:01:33 CDT

Hi Gaurav,
The profile you obtain without bias looks reasonable, though it may need more
sampling. Even though the barrier is rather low, you will probably find it
difficult to obtain proper sampling at room temperature without any bias.
I suspect that in the second case (biased), the profile is not converged and
you are in a non-equilibrium regime. Does the reaction coordinate increase in
time and never come back? It should be possible to prevent that by using a
significantly bigger value of the fullSamples parameter, better suited to the
timescales of your problem.
Note that the force constant (forceConst parameter) is not related to the
biasing force, but rather defines the stiffness of the harmonic boundary
restraint.
In that respect, slow degrees of freedom that are not the RC but are coupled
to it are always a problem. In your case case, one thing you probably want to
consider is relative rotation of the two chains. How do your simulations
account for that?

In all cases, I cannot insist too much on the interest of visualizing
trajectories (VMD is fine for that) to get a feeling of what happens in
simulations.

To answer your question about the deca-alanine example, the constraints we
considered were the lengths of C-H bonds, fixed using RATTLE.
Regards,
Jerome