Re: Water Hole

From: Jim Phillips (jim_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2006 - 23:47:10 CDT

You need to equilibrate periodic simulations with constant pressure to
prevent bubbles from forming (or over-compressing the system). Be sure to
use the extendedSystem option to read the modified basis vectors from the
.xsc file when restarting a run. Once you've equilibrated both pressure
and temperature you can switch to NVE if that's necessary for some reason.

-Jim

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Jacob Poehlsgaard wrote:

> Hi NAMD users
>
> I'm posting in this old topic because I've also run into this problem now.
> I think I pretty much understand the concept of what Marcos is saying, but I
> don't quite get how to implement it correctly.
>
> I have a RNA/protein system in a water box. I ran a lot of equilibrium runs
> with constant temperature (using langvin), with gradually smaller restraints
> on the various atoms to eqilibrate them and everything went well. When I
> then wanted to do an actual production run (this is the first time I have
> ever tried this "for real"), I switched the temperature control off. I did
> this because I've read that production runs should run int the NVE ensemble,
> using no environmental controls at all. In this run, a huge water hole
> appeared rather rapidly.
>
> Should I have been using constant pressure control during my equilibrium
> runs and then switched if off for production runs? If so should I switch off
> both temperature and pressure controls at the same time?
> If pressure control works by rescaling the box, should I somehow alter the
> cell basis vectors to fit these new dimensions in subsequent runs with the
> output files?
>

> Jacob Poehlsgaad
> SDU, Denmark
>

>> Running each part independently won't fix anything. The holes
>> appear because your system is not at the appropriate density
>> and you are not using constant pressure. Just turn on the
>> constant pressure control (either Nose-Hoover Langevin Piston
>> or Berendsen, look at the NAMD user's guide and NAMD tutorial
>> for more details in www.ks.uiuc.edu) for at least 100 ps or
>> more. The size of your box will eventually shrink and the
>> holes will disappear once the right density is reached.
>>
>> Marcos
>>

>> On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Sting wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks snoze pa! I'll try it.
>>>
>>> --Sting