Re: About CHARMM charge

From: L. Michel Espinoza-Fonseca (mef_at_ddt.biochem.umn.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2006 - 10:10:05 CDT

Luca,

About the partial charges, I completely agree with Jan. There are
interesting comparisons of different models used to get partial
charges vs level of theory and basis. The results obtained so far
showed that the Mulliken analysis is not consistent at all when you
pick two different basis at the same level of theory. You can even get
contradictory results... So, as Jan pointed out, the worst model you
can use is the Mulliken one! I would tell you something: NEVER, NEVER
use Mulliken for parametrization and/or analysis purposes. This might
be redundant for many people, but I think it is worth to mention :)

Enjoy,
Michel