Re: extracting waters from DCD

From: Marc Baaden (baaden_at_smplinux.de)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2006 - 08:36:03 CDT

Hi,
the Gromacs package provides such a tool. You'd do the following:

1) transform your dcd trajectory to trr with catdcd
2) use trajorder to order the water molecules in each timeframe
   according to their distance wrt to your point of interest
3) use trjconv to write a subtrajectory with the system and only the
   n (maybe 200 ?) first waters
4) use catdcd to transform the trr back to dcd

we have indeed used that to gain some space and preserve eg a trajectory
of a protein and its nearest solvation shell.

As Nicholas mentioned, you will of course loose the "identity" of the
water molecules. So if you were to look at things like residence times
you'd have a problem.

Marc Baaden

--
 Dr. Marc Baaden  - Institut de Biologie Physico-Chimique, Paris
 mailto:baaden_at_smplinux.de      -      http://www.baaden.ibpc.fr