Re: How to make a virtual bond?

From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu May 25 2006 - 09:56:47 CDT

Hi Patrick,

you are correct that there is an energy loss. This is unlikely to "mess
up" the simulation, but it does lead to a temporarily unphysical state
(although, having the new terminii in place plus a bond/constraint there
is also an unphysical state ;-). If you're running with a thermostat
this is unlikely to cause big problems. If you want to carry out the
transition more smoothly, you might want to have a look at namd's FEP
module (http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/2.6b1/ug/node35.html),
which would, for example, allow you to transition between the fully
bonded state and the unbonded state with appropriate terminal patches.
Peter