during namd build / compile -ltcl8.4 linking error

From: Sabuj Pattanayek (sabuj.pattanayek_at_vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2006 - 15:41:29 CST

Hi,

I almost have namd compiled but it errored during the linking stage. I
have install tcltk-8.4.12 in a separate directory and I put the
following in the arch/Linux-i686.tcl file:

TCLDIR=/sb/apps/tcltk-8.4.12/Linux2/i686
TCLINCL=-I$(TCLDIR)/include
TCLLIB=-L$(TCLDIR)/lib -ltcl8.4 -ldl
TCLFLAGS=-DNAMD_TCL -DUSE_NON_CONST
TCL=$(TCLINCL) $(TCLFLAGS)

All is well during the compile stage until it tries to link everything
and I get this error:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ltcl8.4

I'm not sure why this is happening because libtcl8.4.so exists in the
lib directory defined by TCLDIR. I also tried linking libtcl8.4.so to
libtcl.so and using -ltcl in the arch/Linux-i686.tcl file but I also
receive the same error. Does anyone know why this might be happening?
Does namd only link with a tcltk-8.3.x revision?

Thanks,
Sabuj Pattanayek