Re: Rattle Error During Equilibration of Lipid Bilayer Membrane

From: Arneh Babakhani (ababakha_at_mccammon.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 14:09:23 CST

Hi All,

Just a quick follow-up to this message that I posted last week, in case
any future membrane simulators run into the same problem!

First, thank you all for your suggestions. I learned a lot about MD and
NAMD while trouble-shooting this. It turns out that the problem was in
my original membrane construction; I used a single (poorly structured)
DMPC residue, to make my membrane. The result was a system with a lot
of steric clashes and bad contacts (I did not bother to quantitate or
specifically identify which interactions were causing the problem. You
could tell it was a bad structure just by looking at it).

These bad interactions could not be resolved, no matter how long I ran
the minimization. So eventually, when I tried to heat up the system and
apply constant pressure, the simulation would become unstable and abort.

Upon using a better template DMPC (generously donated by my labmate,
Justin Gullingsrud) , in which there we no such clashes, I built a more
stable membrane. The minimization proceeded more smoothly, I was able
to heat up, apply constant pressure, equilibrate, with no "RATTLE"
error or aborting.

So the morale of the story is a classic one in computational science:
Garbage in equals garbage out! Be mindful of what you use as your
building block for your membrane system.

Thanks!

Arneh

--
Arneh Babakhani