Counterions: how to decide how many to put it?

From: Ching Wong (wongcw_at_TITAN.SFASU.EDU)
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 17:44:33 CST

My proteins is negatively charged and required 11 Na to zero out the
charge. However, many a time one or two Na got into the catalytic stage
during Heating and equilibration, or production runs.

I just wonder, should I put equal number of Na and Cl into the system
(in addition to the Na ions for charge-balacning) to keep it at a
certain ionic concentration or ionic strength? From your experience, do
you put extra ions in the system on top of the charge-balacing ones?
Thanks for sharing your ideas. Please refer me some useful articles if
you know them.

Have a good day.

Sincerely yours,
Jas