Re: About RMSD calculation.

From: Boyang Wang (pkuwangboyang_at_yahoo.com.cn)
Date: Fri Oct 28 2005 - 16:56:09 CDT

Now I see that. The "best-fit" process is necessary. In my understanding, this "fitting" process is aimed at separating translational and rotational degrees of freedom.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Boyang

Peter Freddolino <petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu> 写道:
Dear Boyang,
during the rmsd calculation, the entire structure of each frame is
fitted onto the starting structure, but this is done as a rigid fit; the
internal degrees of freedom of the frames are unaffected. This means
that the rmsd you get from the calculation ignores any drift in your
molecule, which is good; an equilibrated protein in solution should
still drift (diffuse), but should have reached an equilibrium in its
internal degrees of freedom. If you weren't performing the fitting you'd
expect the RMSD to continuously increase in accordance with the
diffusion law.

Best,
Peter

Boyang Wang,