RE: Solvent model other than TIP3 for use with CHARMM FF in NAMD??

From: Joshua D. Moore (jdmoore_at_unity.ncsu.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 00:58:48 CDT

Thanks to everyone for their comments today concerning the water models.
This was something I have been thinking about and worried about. I had
sent an email to the mailing list previously (1-2 weeks ago) (which did
not get a response :() I also have remaining questions:

1) Are only 3 point models usable in NAMD? Can TIP4P or TIP5P even be
used in NAMD's current version?

2) How does "rigidBonds water" know that "water" is "water" in the .pdf
and .pdb files?

3) If a 4 point model is used, would SHAKE and RATTLE have to be used
explicitly to make the bonds and angles rigid (ie., "rigidBonds water"
would only work with a 3 point model ???)?

These may be elementary questions, I have only been using NAMD for ~1
month. Although there are many other comments in the mailing list
concerning water and rigidBonds, I cannot find the "explicit" answers to
these questions. Any response would be appreciated. In fact, I beg for a
response :)

Thanks in advance.

Josh