libimf.so error when compiling charm++

From: Ben Roberts (Ben.P.Roberts_at_vcp.monash.edu.au)
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 01:09:36 CDT

Hello all,

I am trying to compile NAMD 2.5 from source on an i686 machine running
Linux Red Hat Enterprise 3.

I have downloaded and installed the Intel C/C++ and Fortran compilers,
version 8.1, that were available on their website today.

When I try and compile charm++ as a precursor to compiling NAMD, I
receive the following error:

charmxi: error while loading shared libraries: libimf.so: cannot open

I get that error, both in the "./build" script in the charm directory,
which calls charmxi for some purpose; and when I try and run charmxi
directly. I have tried to fiddle around with the Makefiles in tmp, as
advised by ./build when it fails, and I think it may be finding
libimf.so because I have given it the path explicitly (by a -L flag for
the directory and/or a -l flag for the library, viz., -limf).

Is the problem that it is not finding libimf.so, or is it related to the
versions of libimf.so available with Intel Compilers 8.1 being
incompatible with this release of NAMD? Or am I barking up the wrong
tree completely and need another libimf.so that I don't have?

Or is there something else unrelated?

Any advice or information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

--
Benjamin P. Roberts, B.Sc.(Hons)