Re: segmentation violation!!

From: Brian Bennion (brian_at_youkai.llnl.gov)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2005 - 10:20:49 CST

Hello Bora,

I looked through your files and have some suggestions but no solid
answers.
First, the number of cpus you are using (16) is probably to many for the
number of atoms you have 14K using a ethernet connection. Again, not a
solution, but something to keep in mind.

Second, do you have a "core" that gets created when the system crashes?

Third what do you use to submit your jobs (ie bsub,psub,qsub etc...).

Fourth, does the job always die in the same spot?

And finally, have you run the job with ++debug switch and/or
memory_paranoid?

My first guess is that the ethernet traffic is overwhelming the ability of
NAMD to keep track of atoms properly. The traffic is constant and is only
carrying a small amounts of information which is really hard on most
ethernet cards/networks.
Regards
Brian