Re: About charm++/namd on AMD64 cluster

From: Gengbin Zheng (gzheng_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 03 2005 - 14:46:58 CST

Hi,

Adding CPUs sure can slow down program if
1. your atom system is too small, and then imaging more people do one
trivial task can be slower than just one man do the same task alone due
to the synchronization overhead.
2. The communication hardware is slow, for example 100Mbps ethernet is
inefficient especially for small job. In which case, there is not enough
computation work to overlap the communication latency.

so try some larger system for example apoa1 benchmark (you can download
it from NAMD website) and see how it scales.

Gengbin