BIG SANDY @ the Highdive on Thursday

From: David Owen (PalDavidO@AOL.COM)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 10:58:22 CST

Y'all --

Summary (for those busy, hard studying Dancing Illini types): David O.
thinks you might have a real good time listening and dancing (mostly swing)
to the music of Big Sandy and the Fly-Rite Boys at The Highdive on
Thursday, 17FEB. (Only procrastinator/slacker types will want to read
further.)

Long version:

Let's start with a quote from Frankie Manning. It describes a dancing
situation that I had been able to understand only partially before reading
his words on the home page of a Madison, Wisconsin, swing group:

    "...You're corresponding with each other by the moves that you make. It's
a love affair between you and your partner and the music. You feel the music,
you feel your partner, she feels you and she feels the music. So, there the
three of you are together. You've got a triangle, you know? Which one do you
love best?" (@
http://www.cyberius.net/blueroomrevue/main.html)

When I can achieve this situation and be “in love” both with my partner and
with the music, then the quality of that music becomes very important. Big
Sandy & the Boys were here last spring; and when I was dancing in front of
them over at the Canopy Club I remember wondering “Does dance music get any
better than this?” As best I could tell, my partners were really grooving
to the music as well. (Though after reading
http://www.nocturne.com/swing/archives/towntalk/wendy.shtml I find myself
wondering just what my partners were really thinking. You would probably
enjoy reading that page, but it's just so vulgar. Besides, it would be a
further diversion, and isn't it more important that you spend all your time
studying what your U of I instructors have assigned you as homework? Well,
isn't it?)

Anyway, I'm now back from California. You're thinking that the trip may have
affected my brain? Could be: they do dance pretty good out there. Maybe
see you at the Highdive on Thursday?

Best wishes,

David O.