Swing Dance Reminder

From: beaverson sheena k (sbeavers@staff.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 08:50:23 CST

Hello everyone! There is just one week to go for the Indy Swing Dance
Club's kick-off party. That's right, next Sunday is the date and this is
your final reminder.

I've noted a few details below to help make sure things run smoothly as we
expect a large crowd for this event with swingers coming from as far as
Minnesota. We have some feature couples to do WCS dance exhibitions. I am
thrilled to announce that Maren Oslac and Jimmy Mulligan from Chicago will
do one and so will Don and Jean Kingen from Columbus! Even I will do my
very first exhibition in Nite Club 2-Step with Cary Pettit (don't expect
miracles from me here). Three other couples will also perform a Shag, ECS
and hustle. The rest of the time we will be dancing and having fun.

Doors Open at Noon
The dance officially begins at 1:00. We are opening the doors at noon so we
can get people in and they can find a seat and mingle a bit. We also need
to allow some extra time for the waiver forms that need to be filled out
(see below).

Waiver Forms
Rawhide Dance Club is a non-profit club for members who pay $20 per year
which is applied to the club's overhead costs. Rather than making
everyone coming to the swing dance pay for a $20 membership, Rawhide has
worked out an arrangement with us to classify swing club guests as
"associate members."
  To do so, everyone coming for the first time must fill out a waiver form
(it's for insurance purposes and some state mandated liquor license thing
that I don't really understand or have any control over). Once the form
is on file, you do not have to fill one out again. You will be given a
'pay as you go' membership card and each time you come, $2 will be applied
to the $20 membership fee. You do not have to pay $2 extra each time you
come - that fee will be included in the swing dance door price. We
apologize for the inconvenience this will cause for you at your first
visit. But once this formality is done, your next visit to a swing club
dance at the Rawhide Dance Club will be much easier. It's a small price
to pay to have an inexpensive, clean, smoke-free dance club with a huge
raised wood dance floor and an excellent sound system to dance in every
Sunday. I'm sure you will agree!

Help the BeginnersDance Lesson
This event is a Swing Club Kick-off. We are trying to market this club and
WCS dancing in a city that has very little of it right now. We hope to
inspire a lot of curious people who are coming to see what this type of
swing dancing is all about. That is why we are offering a beginners WCS
lesson. Our goal is to get some of the newcomers functioning with something
they can do at the kick-off and hopefully spark their interest so they will
keep coming back. If you are an experienced dancer, we ask you to take the
lesson simply to help the newcomers and make them feel welcome. Ask them to
dance and encourage them to get out on the floor, even if they feel awkward
and out of place. Remember, nothing helps a beginner more than an
experienced partner who can help them out. This one way you can help make
this club a success.

Time Difference
If you are traveling from another state, keep in mind that here in Indiana
we are in the Eastern Time Zone. Take the time difference into
consideration. Those of you in Illinois and out west are 1-hour or more
behind us.

In Case of Bad Weather
Because we were blanketed with six inches of snow yesterday, I thought I
better add an “in case of bad weather” note. This event will take place
even if there is a little snow. The highways leading to Indianapolis are
plowed and tended to pretty quickly so traveling is not a big problem as
long as you allow a little extra time for slower speeds. However, if we get
a major dusting of snow, call 317-299-5209 before you get on the road. We
will leave a recorded message if there is a cancellation due to bad weather.
  If it is questionable, we will leave a message saying the event is still
taking place so you will be absolutely sure we are there as planned. If
there would be need for a cancellation, we would do all of this the very
next Sunday (the 13th) so just plan for this a week later. But pray for
good weather. A good time needs no prayers—that will be guaranteed!

Hotel Information
For those of you coming Saturday from out of town, I’ve attached a list of
hotels. Cary and I will organize a dance outing that night. But where we
go and what we do is not yet decided. If you want to be included in the
plans, let us know. Our home phone number is 317-299-5209.

Weekly Dances
After this kick-off dance, we will meet on Sundays at the same place from
2-6 pm. Cost will be only $5 for members and $7 for non-members (remember
the Rawhide Club fee is included). Dance lessons will be offered from 2-3
pm in 3-session modules for a nominal fee followed by three hours of open
dancing.

Monthly Dance Parties
One Sunday a month we will host a “dance party.” There will be no
lessons—just dancing and fun with the music provided by Don and Jean Dancin’
DJs. These will be on the 3rd Sunday of each month and the cost will be the
same as weekly dances noted above. You will be on the e-mail list for
notices about these dance parties. If you do not wish to receive the
notices, send a note back and we will remove your name from the distribution
list.

I think this covers just about everything. But if you have any questions,
return an e-mail note or call 317-299-5209. I’m really looking forward to
February 6th and I hope to see each and everyone of you there!

Dancingly yours,
Diana Robertson &
Cary Pettit (he puts the grrrrrr in Swinger Baby)