Re: More Tendonitis

From: Linda Oldham (LindaO@HCC.CC.IL.US)
Date: Wed Jul 07 1999 - 13:44:17 CDT

I replied directly to the injured, but decided to share my advice after reading Bruce's excellent exercises. My only caution is do step 1 below before beginning ANY exercises.

I have a great deal of experience with tendinitis and dance injuries--personally and professionally. I teach aerobics besides dancing.
First step: For approximately 1 - ½ weeks rest (do not dance), ice inflamed areas, compress with elastic bandage when not icing, elevate ankles and take 2 Advils twice at day.
Second Step: Strengthen your ankles with calf raises (go up to your toes and hold and slowly elevate both feet at a time then progress to one foot at a time; Another exercise: pick up a towel with your bare feet and use your toes to lift and then slide the towel up the inside of your leg. Do this 10 - 15 minutes twice a day.
Third step: Buy arch supports and where inside all your shoes. This is very, very important. I'd recommend going to a place like Body and Sole and talking to them about your problem. Good shoes and arch supports will help eliminate this problem in the future.
Fourth Step: Resume dancing without pain.
Good luck!!!

Linda Oldham
Director of Corporate Education
Heartland Community College