Re: The practice tonight was NOT for beginners

Cory Tsang (ctsang@NCSA.UIUC.EDU)
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 12:07:34 -0500

On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, Jeremy B. Williams wrote:

> Except for hustle (which Jay has valiantly defended), I'm worried
> that the nightclub dances may get the short end of the stick.
> Except for hustle and salsa, they aren't taught in the beginner
> classes, and Monday night is only Latin and Standard. (Hmmm. . .
> I may have missed one last night because I arrived late, but
> I don't remember hearing a NC2S at practice for the last few
> weeks.)

We must keep at least one distinction. The Dancing Illini provides Monday
and Wednesday nights as _practice_ nights. Their overall tone may be
social or competitive, however, they are geared so that our members may
practice what they are learning.

If you're looking to social dance, then show up on Friday nights at the
Regent. From 8-11pm you can dance a wide variety of Ballroom, Latin
and Nightclub dances. From 11:30pm-2am, there is often, but not always, a
live salsa band, but you can bet that you'll be hearing a lot of Latin
music :) Friday's are a lot of fun, especially when you're with your
classmates. Last Friday, we had close to 20 people from classes plus a
lot of the "oldies" from the club (myself included).

When we start our 4 week short courses, more dances may be included at
practice. Just realize that we aren't going to have every type of dance
being played. The point of practice is to practice what you know and to
get help if it is available. It doesn't make sense to have members
sitting out dances because they don't know how and you can't always rely
on people being available to teach them on the fly.

As it stands, I've asked that the practice tape include only dances that
are being taught in both our beginner and intermediate classes. The only
one that beginners won't know will be quickstep, otherwise, we have a good
overlap between beginner and intermediate dances. Actually, we offer 7
out of about 12 dances at beginner level.

Cory