Re: ADMIN: Mark's message was a spoof

mark anthony balzer (m-balzer@STUDENTS.UIUC.EDU)
Fri, 9 May 1997 16:35:44 -0500

Scott writes:
>Hello Everybody!
>This is the email list administrator.
>I have contacted Mark regarding the recent post.
>He claims it is a spoof. Given other incongruities, I believe him.
>The message has been forwarded to CCSO for examination.

It is indeed an amateurish hoax.

Jim writes:
>If you look at the headers on the message you will see that it
>originated from lectprep7.physics.uiuc.edu, which is apparently a PC

Right. There were also other forged messages from computers in that lab.

>As such you can type anything you want into the "From" field of
>the mailer. This was a low-grade spoof and pretty easy to spot.
>There are more sophisticated methods which can hide this data,
>but CCSO is pretty on-the-ball about preventing those. If we're
> lucky, whoever pulled this shit will send one to whitehouse.gov
>as well so the Secret Service can take care of him for us. ;-)

DonŐt worry about it Jim, I already know who did it, and am on my
way to see a Dean about him right now. It seems I get the last laugh,
knowing that he was stupid enough to sacrifice his college career to
try to make me look bad. Stay tuned...

Mark