Re: SOC: Chicago Classic

Mark Balzer (m-balzer@STUDENTS.UIUC.EDU)
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 14:05:56 -0600

John wrote:
>In a little while, I am going to hit the road for O'Hare airport,
>to pick up a friend en route to the Chicago Classic swing dance
>convention. I want to comment on something Mark said in his email
>the other day about the event, that it would 'change the way you
>look at dancing forever', or words to that effect.
>
>It's no lie, brothers and sisters.

Last call for the Swing train!!! All aboard!!!

Right now we've got about 10 people going. Contact me today (Thursday) for
ride info, or just meet us there on Saturday! Here's the info one more
time:

Mark
333-5980 school
337-5679 home

--

Hi everyone,

Let's start off spring break with some Swing and Hustle dancing!

This coming weekend brings us the long-awaited Chicago Classic; a _huge_ Swing dance convention with workshops taught by top pros from around the US, Swing dance competitions at all levels from "newcomer" to "pro," and hours & hours of social Swing (all styles) and Hustle dancing!

The convention runs Friday-Sunday (3/21 - 3/23) in Oakbrook, IL. I'm putting together a big group of DI members to attend this event on Saturday, 3/22. We'll attend great workshops, watch high level competition swing dancing, and then dance til our feet are sore! Email me at <m-balzer@uiuc.edu> if you can join us.

I'll collect names, and help organize transportation &amp; car-pools. The Saturday-only admission price is $30 (yes, a whole day of dancing and competition-watching for only $30!). So tell your friends!

Here's the schedule for this awesome event:

friday - Opening Ceremony and social Swing (all styles) and Hustle dancing from 7:00 - 9:00pm - newcomer and novice division competitions at 9:00, 10:00pm respectively - social Swing (all styles) and Hustle dancing between divisions and then without interruption from 11:00 on

saturday - 4 morning/afternoon dance workshops 10am - 2pm, $10 each (12-1pm &amp; 1-2pm workshops recommended!), - social Swing (all styles) &amp; Hustle dancing from 2:30 - 5:30pm (Jack and Jill comp during the break) - social Swing (all styles) &amp; Hustle dancing from 6:30 - 8:00pm - pro-am, strictly swing and classic division competitions at 8:00, 9:30, 11:00pm respectively - social Swing (all styles) and Hustle dancing between divisions and then without interruption from 11:30 on

sunday - 3 morning/afternoon dance workshops 10am - 1pm, $10 each - social Swing (all styles) &amp; Hustle dancing from 1:00 - 2:00pm - Showcase division, and Invitational Jack and Jill competitions at 2:00 and 3:30pm respectively - social Swing (all styles) and Hustle dancing between divisions and then without interruption until the convention ends at 6pm - 8pm social swing dance at a different location.

Location: Oakbrook Mariot Hotel, 1401 W 22nd Street, Oakbrook, IL hotel phone # (630)573-8555

Again, we'll be going as a group for Saturday only, (but Swing addicts can obtain a 3-day pass for $70.00. One-day passes are also available each day).

If you are ready to have fun and dance the night away, please RSVP by Thursday night or just meet us there on Saturday. I hope to hear from you soon,

Mark