Azucarrr Salsa Classes (fwd)

Ece Karatan (karatan@STUDENTS.UIUC.EDU)
Thu, 30 May 1996 16:09:21 -0500

Dear Dancing Illini members,

Below is some information about salsa/merengue classes being offered thru
the Champaign Park District over the summer that Mark Johnson and I will
be teaching. Mark (Balzer) thought that there might be some people
interested in classes among the Dancing Illini crowd. So if anyone is
interested we will be happy to see you.

Here goes:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 15:57:40 -0500
From: Ece Karatan <karatan@students.uiuc.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list SALSA-L <SALSA-L@POSTOFFICE.CSO.UIUC.EDU>
Subject: Azucarrr Salsa Classes

Dear Azucarrr members and everyone else interested in Salsa dancing,
The Salsa and Merengue classes that were taught by Esmeralda and
Lily will be taken over by Mark Johnson this summer and fall. Esmeralda
has given some information about this class during her WEFT show. Below
is Mark's note which has all the information about the class.

Many people have been asking what will happen to the Salsa classes once
Esmeralda and Lily leave. Though their departure is a very sad loss to
their friends and the Salsa community, we will still continue to teach
the Azucarrr Salsa-Merengue class, and try to keep everyone posted with
upcoming Salsa events.
This summer and the upcoming fall Ece Karatan and I, Mark Johnson
(tall blond dancing fool not to be confused with Mark Balzer, tall
dark-haired dancing fool) will be teacing both Beginning and Intermediate
level Salsa and Merengue classes as well as private lessons.
In the past Esmeralda, Lily, Alvin, and I have taught the class
at a very fast pace, trying to cram as much Salsa and Merengue into your
brains as possible. The outcome of this was that many people droppped out
of the class because they could not keep up the pace. Also, because of
the massive amount of stuff we taught, many of the moves were quickly
forgotten by the next class. We hopefully have a solution: Theupcoming
classes will be slowed down to a pace that everyone is comfortable with.
This will you three things: the opportunity to thoroughly learn each of
the moves, a more confident attitude on the dance floor, and a chance to
focus more on the person you're dancing with rather than the shoes they
are wearing. My hope is that this will improve the quality as well as the
quantity of dancers in Champaign.
One of the things Esmeralda,Lily and I have enjoyed watching is
the growth and the popularity of Salsa in the community. The beauty of
Salsa, apart from the dance itself is the social atmosphere it creates.
There are very few things in this town that give you the opportunity to
express yourself and the chance to meet other people in a culturally rich
and creative way. It is also aerobically good for you. ( Your mom will be
glad to know that!!)

Beginning Level Salsa and Merengue Class- $30.00/7 sessions
The Beginning level class is designed for people who want to
learn the dance and for those who have taken it before but want a
refresher course. You will learn the basic steps and turns, the ability
to identify the beat, and the basic principles of leading and following.
The only prerequsites for this class are the ability to distinquish
between right and left and the ability to count to four (language optional)

Intermediate Level Salsa and Merenque Class- $30.00/ 7 sessions
The intermediate level class is and extension from the Beginning
level Salsa class. It is designed for those who have either taken the
Beginnig level class or who already have an equivalent base knowledge.
In class you will learn more advanced steps and turns, different leads
and foot-work, and how to dance slow salsa. This class is for those who
have been out, tried what they know, and want to refine their skills and
learn more. The only prerequisites for this class are a knowledge of the
basic dance moves for Salsa and Merengue and almost more importantly to
recognize and cancto the beat.

The classes this summer will be offered through the Champaign Park
District. The room we will be using will be AIR-CONDITIONED!!! As always
the first class is free./
Time :
June 5th to July 17th
Wednesdays
Beginner: 6 to 7:15
Intermediate: 7:0 to 8:45
Place:
Springer Recreation Center on the corner of Randolph and Church
right across from the new Thai restaurant. For those who don't have a car
both the Green and the Brown bus drops you off one block away from
Springer in downown Champaign.

In addition to the class we are offering Alvin offers Salsa and Merengue
lessons at Gypsy at 8:30 on Fridays. Also Maurisio and Courtney teach
Salsa at the La Casa on Thursdays and Sundays. And you have already
received the information about the Dancing Illini classes.

If you would like to take either of we are offering or find out more
about the other classes or have any additional questions, please call
Mark at 359-1638 or send an e-mail to Ece to karatan@uiuc.edu

Hope to see you over the summer!
Mark Johnson