Hot and Sour Soup Recipe

From: Lisa Hoppe (ldhoppe@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2007 - 19:29:13 CDT

    By popular demand, I am posting the recipe to the Hot and Sour Soup that I brought to the DI party on Saturday night.

    I usually double the recipe because I can use a whole package of tofu and a whole can of bamboo shoots that way. Plus, it makes MORE of the soup to share with my friends. I add not quite twice the amount of hot sauce. I don't add any salt to the soup. I figure that the broth and soy sauce has enough salt already.

    I usually buy the black mushrooms (black fungus), soy sauce, sambal oeleck, bamboo shoots, tofu, and sesame oil at the Am-Ko. I get the pork tenderloin from either Schnucks or Meijer because I'm picky about the meat. Everything else is from the supermarket.

    Lisa

    Hot & sour soup

    Ingredients:

    6 dried woodear (black) mushrooms
    1/4 lb pork tenderloin
    1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon soy sauce (light or dark)
    6 oz bean curd
    4 cups chicken broth
    3 tablespoons white vinegar
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup shredded bamboo shoots
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    2 tablespoons cold water
    1/4 teaspoon white pepper
    2 eggs, slightly beaten
    2 tablespoons chopped green onions
    2 teaspoons red pepper sauce (get from your favorite
    chinese restaraunt or use Sambal
    Oeleck)
    1/2 teaspoon sesame oil

    Soak mushrooms in warm water until soft, about 30 minutes.
    Drain. Rinse in warm
    water; Drain. Remove stems; cut into strips. Trim
    fat from pork; shred the pork (tear
    along grain). Toss pork, 1/2 tsp cornstarch, 1/2 tsp
    salt and 1/2 tsp soy sauce in bowl.
     Cover and refrigerate 15 minutes. Cut bean curd into
    pieces, 1 1/2 x 1/4 inch.

    Heat broth, vinegar 1 tbsp soy sauce and 1 tsp salt
    to boiling in 3 quart saucepan. Stir
    in bamboo shoots, mushrooms, pork and bean curd. Heat
    to boiling, reduce heat. Cover
    and simmer 5 minutes.

    Mix 2 tbsp cornstarch, the water and white pepper;
     stir in soup. Heat to boiling,
    stirring constantly. Pour egg slowly into soup.stirring
    constantly with fork until egg
    forms shreds. Stir in green onions, pepper sauce and
    sesame oil. Makes about 5 cups.