My two favorite salsa hits

From: charles joseph smith (cjsmith2@students.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 20:49:24 CST

"Me voy pa' Cali" is now my most favorite songs to dance salsa to. It
was played in the preliminary round of the Dancing Illini competition
in the salsa category. I fell in love with the song actually in 1998,
two years ago, when I had to sit out the salsa category and watch dancers
in a previous DI competition dancing to the song. I loved the part when
the chorus says, "Cali, Cali, Cali"--and I never forgot the song since.

I danced to the song in the October 21 Dancing Illini competition with
Deena Vichugsanonon, my
partner, and she loved to dance the salsa because she is familiar with
it.

If you don't have the song, I have it. It appears as the second song in
his album, "El Rey De Los Soneros."

I also love to dance salsa to "Vamonos Pa'l Monte", made famous by the
"el rumbero de piano"--Eddie Palmieri. There are several albums of Eddie
Palmieri featuring this song, including one extended version from a
concert in Sing Sing prison, which I do have. Juan Mendoza, the local DJ,
loved to occasionally put on the song near the end of a social salsa dance
at Mabel's before Mabel's closed its doors.

What are your favorite songs to salsa to?
Charles Joseph Smith "I am called "The Little Lily of Salsa" because
URH, 101 Daniels Hall I feel like a happy, little lily flower when
1010 W. Green St. I dance to the salsa music. But I can dance
Urbana, IL 61801-3097 to almost everything I can think of."
(217) 332-2143 --Myself