Re: The parameter error in the NAMD Energy of VMD

From: Paweł Kędzierski (pawel.kedzierski_at_pwr.edu.pl)
Date: Wed Nov 30 2022 - 03:57:16 CST

W dniu 29.11.2022 o 19:02, Rulong Ma pisze:
> Hi the teams of NAMD and VMD.
>
> There is a parameter error in the NAMD Energy of VMD when I calculated
> the interaction energy between protein and RNA.
Dear Rulong,

NAMDEnergy plugin was written for the charmm 27 force field, which was
self-contained, and the GUI only accepts a single parameter file.
Parameters from version 36 are inter-dependent and basically you have to
load all par_all36* parameters files (save for CGenFF) for NAMD to
proceed without such errors, but it is not possible with the current
NAMDEnergy GUI.

The workaround I use is to select the "Debug" checkbox in the GUI, edit
the namd-temp.namd input file to include all needed parameter files, and
run namd manually. But of course this way you loose the plugin
functionality to parse and plot the results. A plotable file of total
energy vs frame number can be easily generated with awk (in Linux):

$ namd2 namd-temp.namd > namd-temp.log
$ awk '/^ENERGY:/{print $2, $12}' namd-temp.log > plot_Etotal.txt

Greetings,

Pawel