Re: Alchemical FEP simulation

From: Daipayan Sarkar (sdaipayan_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 19 2022 - 08:10:18 CST

Hi Anirvinya,

As I mentioned in my earlier response, if you look at the underlying
probability distribution for both forward and reverse process you will
understand why you can end up with such large values for the change in
free energy with a coarse grid for lambda. The reason here is because
the sampling is not sufficient per lambda window, over the reaction path
undertaken by the alchemical transformation. For more details please
refer to the paper, https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://doi.org/10.1021/ct300242f__;!!DZ3fjg!7dn3ySn7sMcADSasMCrbHr6aPxuA1zVBLJQXbUAict5JQr7uJeI1jX5n8sARZ-Pv6Bxy6fqKwAK27CS7kCk$ . Specifically, you
can refer to the example and discussion on the necessity to stratify the
reaction path undertaking alchemical transformation. This is also the
reference for the ParseFEP plugin available in VMD, which is used to
analyze the FEP output that NAMD generates.

-Daipayan