Re: Re: namd-l digest V1 #3281

From: Jie Shi (shijie0204_at_tamu.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 13 2022 - 00:36:48 CDT

I tried "useflexiblecell" along with "useConstantArea" (replacing the
constant ratio). But no, I have not tried just using "useflexiblecell"
without "useConstantArea" or "useconstantratio".

This idea is new to me. Do you think this may be the cause?

Best,
Jie

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 10:31 PM Geist, Norman <
norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de> wrote:

> [...]
>> This message came from outside your organization.
>>
>> ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd
>> I'd go with an NPT equilibration step that includes "useflexiblecell" to
>> allow each dimension to relax independently. The lipids just ask for more
>> room in one dimension, which cannot be resolved with "useconstantratio".
>>
>> Bests
>> Norman Geist
>>
>> Am Dienstag, den 13-09-2022 um 00:17 schrieb Jie Shi:
>>
>> Hi Raman,
>>
>> Thank you for your reply. The snapshot showing the membrane bending can
>> be found here: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://postimg.cc/jWrpgPFH__;!!DZ3fjg!8Dp1vq6wYg7F6fAIF2YohsFkO8rSffcPFUwTQxTQsL_Vu3CFsA9k1uuL84ytSLMivP9AxoEW7TYFXhbss-puzxGBYFh40g$
>> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://postimg.cc/jWrpgPFH__;!!DZ3fjg!8SGM2Y0Iiu5eCxBnsVlOZz8ct9MyjB_EKDU41jkwZp3ebOuLMORPoAO47xBkkAO36ib1bihdLbpiEmoIszuz18cuB8iBjg$>
>>

>> 1. Large membrane patches (>5-10 nm side) show membrane undulations.
>> These are ripple-like movements/bending. Is the curvature you are looking
>> at static or moves up-down/back-forth?
>>
>> Once the curvature is formed, it became quite stable and does not move
>> much. It’s as if the bent form is the stabilized form for the membrane
>> structure.
>>

>> 1. If these are undulations, you easily suppress these by restraining
>> some of the atoms (e.g. phosphate groups of a few lipid molecules). Just
>> apply restraints in the z-direction so the bulges don’t form but lipids can
>> diffuse within the membrane (x-y direction).
>>
>> Yes, but our ultimate goal of the simulation is to study how the protein
>> would affect the membrane, especially the potential capability of
>> membrane-bending. For that purpose, we can not apply restraints as it will
>> also prohibit the membrane change we would like to study.
>>

>> 1. In membranes, it is common to use semi-isotropic pressure
>> coupling. Are you using isotropic coupling?
>>
>> We use constant P and T along with “useConstantRatio yes”, is this the
>> semi-isotropic pressure coupling that you were referring to?
>>
>> Best,
>> Jie
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 2:11 AM Raman Preet Singh <
>> ramanpreetsingh_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jie, I am unable to download the attachment so there's a bit of guess
>>> work here. 1. Large membrane patches (>5-10 nm side) show membrane
>>> undulations. These are ripple like movements/bending. Is the curvature you
>>> are looking at is static
>>> ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
>>> This Message Is From an External Sender
>>> This message came from outside your organization.
>>>
>>> ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd
>>>
>>> Hi Jie,
>>> I am unable to download the attachment so there's a bit of guess work here.
>>> 1. Large membrane patches (>5-10 nm side) show membrane undulations. These are ripple like movements/bending. Is the curvature you are looking at is static or moves up-down/back-forth?
>>> 2. If these are undulations, you easily suppress these by restraining some of the atoms (e.g. phosphate groups of a few lipid molecules). Just apply restraints in the z-direction so the bulges don't form but lipids can diffuse within the membrane (x-y direction).
>>> 3. In membranes, it is common to use semi-isotropic pressure coupling. Are you using isotropic coupling?
>>> For membranes, i have worked on Gromacs but some of these principles are applicable to all MD programs.
>>> Regards,
>>> Raman