Re: Advice on choice of NAMD to install for CUDA/GPU support

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 12 2022 - 12:51:14 CDT

Three comments:

1) The error message is pretty clear:
"FATAL ERROR: QM forces are not compatible with CUDA at this time"
CUDA acceleration is only available for a subset of the NAMD functionality,
obviously not for QM/MM.

2) your GPU is pretty "wimpy". there is not much acceleration to be
expected, if any at all. best just let it do 3d graphics and be happy with
that.

3) with QM/MM calculations the bottleneck is usually the QM code, not the
MD code. So speeding up the MD beyond parallelizing across the CPU cores (I
would not even use all of them, but leave a couple of CPU cores for other
(desktop) tasks) is not likely to cause any significant speedup.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer  akohlmey_at_gmail.com  https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://goo.gl/1wk0__;!!DZ3fjg!8aq7Qsh6kjhH9E5d7W9lCgwyPoN2k3OGUXznZQHELYa_mZeu5Wj9bN2ktEbyGe7k78CLYuRGOV8ornmUuw$