Re: Centre of mass distance in ABF

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Dec 12 2020 - 09:17:32 CST

Hi Asshish, you didn't say which type of variable (function) you used.
Assuming that you used a "distance" function:
https://colvars.github.io/colvars-refman-namd/colvars-refman-namd.html#sec:cvc_distance
you are defining indeed the distance between the two COMs.

Specifically, the "program" that computes the COMs of groups is actually
NAMD, while Colvars uses them to define the collective variable and the
biasing forces on it that allow you enhanced sampling and PMF computation.
(Instead, other types of collective variables that are not based on COMs
are computed entirely within Colvars.)

In your publication, you should therefore cite both the NAMD and Colvars
papers:
https://doi.org/10.1063/5.0014475
https://doi.org/10.1080/00268976.2013.813594

Thanks,