Re: regarding constant PH simulation

From: Brian Radak (brian.radak_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 20 2020 - 07:31:12 CST

Hi Zahra,

You are correct on item 1, we only parameterized CHARMM36 amino acids in
a published work. We experimented with some other unpublished parameters
(e.g. acetic acid), but those are not in the toppar tree. At one point I
was circulating a draft developer's guide, but I'm not sure this ever
made it onto the TCBG website. If you contact me offline I can forward
you a copy. I also took great pains to heavily comment the cph36 toppar
files, so I would encourage you to read those.

For item 2, the answer is actually very much that "it depends." For
purely aqueous or ionic solvated systems with reasonably large boxes, we
could not detect any significant PME artifacts. However, the artifacts
can be /substantial/ when modeling membrane systems. We discussed a post
hoc correction in the paper, but it is a bit cumbersome as it requires
shifting the pH range. I'm not sure if anyone is actively working on the
compensating charge solution and development never left the planning stage.

Cheers,

Brian