Re: Non-SLI GPUs in NAMD

From: Josh Vermaas (joshua.vermaas_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 04 2020 - 14:59:36 CDT

Hi Raman,

Yes, although the effectiveness for this is mixed. For NAMD 2.X, a
multicore build will use all the GPUs it sees, and to my knowledge does not
use SLI. This leads us to the answer to #2 as well. NAMD will get better
performance the more GPUs you throw at the problem, up to a limit of how
fast your PCI transfers are. For the 2.X branch, this cap is pretty low,
and usually what I do instead is to run multiple jobs with only 1 GPU
(using the +devices argument to make sure every simulation gets their own
GPU) and as many CPUs as I can give it (the integrator is on the CPU, and
on modern hardware is rate limiting). Since mining rigs are usually GPU
heavy, you may want to try the alpha NAMD 3.X line, which leaves more of
the work on the GPU and basically just uses the CPU to launch GPU tasks.
The 3.X line right now can only use 1 GPU per simulation, so it effectively
replicates the cryptocurrency workflow of "1 GPU per thing", but NAMD 3.X
has had some pretty good performance in my own testing.

-Josh