Antw: Re: NAMD performance

From: Gerald Keller (gerald.keller_at_uni-wuerzburg.de)
Date: Thu Mar 19 2020 - 11:21:26 CDT

Hi Stefano,

I played around with the same issue.
You will only be able to run 2 namd instances on the same machine with no performence loss if your used cores are on different sockets.

In your case cores 0-15 should be on socket 1 and cores 32-47 on socket 2, respectivley. If you only have 1 socket I wouldn't reccomend to run more than 1 namd instance per node.

Best,
Gerald

>>> Stefano Guglielmo <stefano.guglielmo_at_unito.it> 19.03.20 17.00 Uhr >>>
Dear all,
thanks for your advice and sorry for my late reply. I finally managed to optimize performance for a single simulation.

Now I am trying to run two simulations in parallel using NAMD 2.13 multicore-CUDA version. I used the following option to run the two simulations:

+p16 +idlepoll +setcpuaffinity +devices 0 +pemap 0-15

and

+p16 +idlepoll +setcpuaffinity +devices 1 +pemap 32-47.

For two systems of comparable dimension I observed a sizeable performance loss when starting the second simulation (from 0.017 s/step to 0.028 s/step). In your opinion is this reasonable or shall I tune some options differently/use a different version of NAMD?

Thanks in advance for sharing advice,
all the best
Stefano