Re: unable to open restart.colvars

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2019 - 13:57:50 CST

Hi Francesco, a workaround was introduced in 2.10 into the file writing
routines of NAMD to support the file system on Blue Waters. This created a
few related problems, but all were fixed eventually. Since you state that
you used the nightly build, I don't think you're affected by any of those
old bugs.

A search for that error message in this mailing list returns several
messages from you (e.g. last April), when writing the NAMD restart file.
Brian wrote the following then:

*How frequently are you writing to disk? It looks like you are writing a
restart file every 500 steps, which is incredibly frequent and stresses
both NAMD performance and the disk. Even writing energies to output that
frequently can measurably slow down a simulation.*

So obviously the writing frequency is the first that I would check.
Remember that on a busy network file systems, some operations will not be
completed within seconds (e.g. renaming files to .BAK).

Giacomo

--
Giacomo Fiorin
http://goo.gl/Q3TBQU