Problem with compiling vmd from source code

From: Oleksii (zdorevskyi_at_bitp.kiev.ua)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2019 - 09:29:40 CST

Dear NAMD users community,

I have ubuntu 64-bit operating system on my PC and am trying to compile
vmd 1.9.3 from source code. I have already compiled the latest version
of tcl libraries (tcl8.6.10) and installed them to /usr/local/lib
directory.  According to the installation guide, firstly I export this
path to the TCLLIB and TCLINC variables:

export TCLLIB=/usr/local/lib

export TCLINC=/usr/local/include/

and then try to compile VMD plugins:

make LINUXAMD64 TCLINC=$TCLINC TCLLIB=$TCLLIB/libtcl8.6.so.

But I get the following error:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ltcl8.5
Makefile:381: recipe for target 'vtfplugin.so' failed
make[2]: *** [vtfplugin.so] Error 1
Makefile:154: recipe for target 'molfilelibs' failed
make[1]: *** [molfilelibs] Error 1
Make-arch:336: recipe for target 'LINUXAMD64' failed
make: *** [LINUXAMD64] Error 2

Could you tell me please what is wrong with my path to tcl libraries? Or
I should only use the previous (8.5) version of the tcl libraries?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Oleksii