Re: Regarding free energy

From: Brian Radak (brian.radak_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2018 - 11:47:27 CST

The essential components of this are covered in the NAMD User's Guide and
the tutorial for "in silico alchemy" - I strongly suggest taking a look.

By choosing completely separate schedules for the scaling of electrostatic
and van der Waals interactions (e.g. alchVdwLambdaEnd = alchElecLambdaStart
= 0.5) you can notionally uncouple the two. Note that:

1) This really only works when you have a single alchemical group.
2) The decoupling is essentially arbitrary, since only the net free energy
difference is independent of the choice of schedule.

HTH,
BKR