Re: the instance type selection for NAMD simulation in Amason marketplace

From: Ryan McGreevy (ryanmcgreevy_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2018 - 08:45:31 CDT

When the marketplace listing was created, g2 was a good candidate for
general use of VMD and NAMD on AWS while being relatively cheap. Currently,
for the best performance of NAMD specifically, you would want to look at
the newer gpu computing instances, p2 and the newest p3 types that have
more recent gpus in them. I don't believe we've benchmarked those instance
types, but a 30,000 atom system is not so big, so it should be doable on
AWS. You can always run the simulation for a short time to get the
benchmarking output to estimate the total time and cost.