Re: Multi-dimensional PMF

From: JC Gumbart (gumbart_at_physics.gatech.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2018 - 09:48:08 CDT

Neither amantadine nor your new complexes permeate the channel, so asking how large the barrier would be if they were shot through it like a bullet (what you’re effectively doing given the time scales) doesn’t seem particularly relevant. Presumably a better question is how tightly they bind and in what position/orientation. The former would require complicated free-energy calculations (absolute binding free energy) that are very difficult to converge. The latter may require nothing more than very long (~1-10 μs) equilibrium simulations.

I’ve found a tendency (even for myself) to fall back on free-energy calculations as a shortcut to thinking carefully about the problem/system at hand. For example, instead of trying to calculate a complex multi-dimensional PMF for folding of a protein, we’re turning to steered MD to look at unfolding, which is sufficient to discriminate between our hypotheses. A lot of times you don’t actually need a precise number and even more of the time, you probably can’t reliably get it anyway.

Best,
JC