Re: Colvars alternative recommendations

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2018 - 09:31:57 CDT

Hi Zack, how large is the number of atoms? Note that the regular radius of
gyration code is not parallel either, although it would be definitely
faster than a custom function via Lepton.

Is the exponent P an even integer? It wouldn't be a big deal to have P as
an option, rather than being hard-coded. It may even be possible to
calculate the inverse gradients for the corresponding expression, and
estimate free-energies through the internal forces (as in straight ABF)
rather than the applied ones (as in eABF or metadynamics).

FYI, PLUMED supports Lepton expressions, as well. Support for it was added
immediately after the corresponding one in Colvars, so it should behave
more or less the same way given that Lepton has a simple API.

If you can define in more detail the NN or GPR methods that you plan on
using, I can recommend whether it's easier to port it into NAMD or switch
to another MD engine.

Giacomo

--
Giacomo Fiorin