Re: vmd-l: Fwd: ParseFEP for restating FEP

From: Francesco Pietra (chiendarret_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2018 - 15:31:58 CDT

Hi Brian:

(1)

running each lambda as its own NAMD job,

As the very reason for that is to have more lambda windows than 24hr of
cluster would allow with a standard execution, that strategy is simple
impossible in the organization of the cluster I have access to. No short
queues.

(2)

concatenate output from multiple runs, but things must be in the right
> format for ParseFEP to detect it.

namd has a quite multiform audience, comprising also people that, like
myself, have an experimental formation (biochemistry), while short in
programming (and short of time to learn programming at a level for these
affairs). Could namd consider to devote some time (probably no long time in
the hands of experts) to allow semi-automatic concatenation of ,fepout
outputs from FEP simulations as currently carried out?

(3)

Another, probably much more serious problem, is why 50 lambda windows were
not enough to reach quasi convergence for the Unbound case? The ligand is
not small and quite complex, like diterpenoids are. However, I spent
several weeks in parameterizing it with dihedral and water-interaction
fitting. Both the ligand alone, and the complex with the protein, allow
hundreds of ns of MD without any problem. I am aware that the FEP tutorial
for ligand-protein was for a peptide ligand, declaring the wish to avoid
the problems with "natural products". However, should the latter be not
FEP- workable, a whole area of interest (think to pharmaceutical interests)
would be out.

I hope that namd team will take (2) above into serious consideration,
without having to wait for namd 2.13.

Thanks a lot for all your advice.

francesco