Writing number of atoms in a specific group to a file

From: Hamed Fadaei (hamed.fadaei111_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 16 2016 - 11:35:24 CST

Dear NAMD users,

I'm wondering if there's a way to calculate the number of atoms in a group
and write it in a text file during a NAMD simulation. For example number of
water molecules around a residue (So the selection also changes during
time). I know I can do this as a processing with VMD but I need to stop the
simulation at the moment this number reaches a certain value. Can you think
of any possible way to do that?

Best regards,
Hamed