Re: PMF with ABF for ion channels in a spherical molecule

From: Olya Kravchenko (ovkrav_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 28 2016 - 15:35:53 CDT

Hi Aron,

thank you for replying!

My system is ferritin, it is a spherical molecule that is empty inside
(such as soccer ball). The ions go inside through channels in the
surface, there are 8 channels, each consists of three chains. I am
trying to implement your suggestion now, i.e. align one of the
channels with Z axis.

For the harmonic restraint, what exactly should be restrained? I read
the manual about orientation variable, but I don't quite understand
what happens if I do not use it. The manual says it is needed to stop
the rotation of the protein. Why would it rotate?

Another thing: I recently ran a 20 ns simulation (I set it up without
PMF in mind at the time), so I now have a trajectory and roughly
identified ion pathway, but none of the channels are aligned with Z
axis. Do I understand it correctly that I cannot use the results for
obtaining PMF along the axis of the channel? Is there a conversion
that would allow me to utilize the current trajectory? (this is why I
thought about abscissa first).

Thank you,

Olga