RE: heating in NPT ensemble

From: Radak, Brian K (bradak_at_anl.gov)
Date: Fri May 06 2016 - 10:04:07 CDT

That's about as straightforward an error as I've ever seen NAMD give; you need to set an appropriate value for langevinPistonTemp. It should probably be exactly the same as what you set for your thermostat (I'm guessing langevinTemp).

IMO, it is somewhat unfortunate that every thermostat and barostat method has its own temperature input value, but I can see that there are equally good arguments both ways. I have sometimes toyed with the idea of making a set of Tcl wrapper functions to hide all of this from the user, but that would just add a new layer of complexity. Something like the following might be helpful:

proc setLangevinNPT {{temp 300} press 1.0}} {
  langevin on
  langevinTemp $temp

  langevinPiston on
  langevinPistonTarget $press