Re: Energy gradient in colvars.state file

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 29 2016 - 14:25:35 CST

Hello Carlo, I didn't completely understand the details of the numerical
derivation of the 20-million restart file. However, if you derived
numerically the discretized PMF, keep in mind that there is a
discretization error in the derivative. There should be no such errors in
the grid of free energy gradients in the restart file, because the free
energy has been derived analytically before being added to the grid.
Therefore, at least on the grid's cornerpoints, the free energy derivatives
are exact.
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/2.11/ug/node58.html#24801

Also, the hills that you see explicitly added are those near the grid's
boundaries (see the Note at the following link), and not simply the most
recent ones.
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/2.11/ug/node58.html#24772

Giacomo

--