Recover the PMF along an unbiased CV

From: Felipe Merino (felipe.merino_at_mpi-dortmund.mpg.de)
Date: Thu Jan 14 2016 - 16:11:37 CST

Dear all,

This is a slightly off topic question, but I had a small doubt which I
know somebody there can help me with. I have some umbrella sampling
simulations with the bias applied to a specific set of atoms. I'd like
to know now the PMF along a slightly different CV. Since both are highly
correlated, the biasing on one pretty much allows me to explore the second.

In my understanding, this should not be a problem given that I know the
value of both CVs for each point, and therefore I can keep track of the
bias on the system, and perform the re-weighting of the trajectories
based on the new CV and it's associated bias. Of course, the histograms
are rather noisy and the PMF looks a bit ugly, but it quite matches what
I was expecting.

Am I missing something here or does this sound correct?

I'd appreciate a lot some comments on the topic.

Cheers

Felipe

--
Felipe Merino
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Physiology