RE: atom types in PSF/PRM/RTF

From: hannes.loeffler_at_stfc.ac.uk
Date: Sun May 31 2015 - 07:43:34 CDT

Many thanks.

I have played with this a bit more and found that apparently CHARMM converts atom types from RTF and PRM files to upper case while the ones from the PSF are taken as is ... ouch! Anyway, what I am coding now is a converter from AMBER prmtop to the CHARMM formats. So I have to prefix GAFF types (or any other with lower case letters) to not accidentially create the same names as in the "main" force fields.

I also counter-check with NAMD. I found one issue with atom type names of the newer AMBER force fields starting with a digit, e.g. "3C" (I had this also with GROMAC's grompp BTW). NAMD tries to distinguish XPLOR from CHARMM format by scanning for digits in the atom type "name". This is done via a scanf "%d" which will be succesful for a string starting with a digit as it should be but gives a false error in this case. But one might ask why to use the AMBER force fields through conversion to PSF anyway...

Cheers,
Hannes.